Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pureed Vegetables

I included pureed cauliflower and butternut squash in my previous recipe.  I figured that I probably should include how I do that.

Cauliflower...

Take one head of cauliflower (or as many as you want) and steam until soft.  Once it is really soft - can be mashed with a fork - I transfer it to a food processor.  I then get sandwich bags and pour in 1/2 cup of cauliflower - 1 head usually makes around 5 portions.  These can be frozen until needed.  Either defrost naturally or you can dump the frozen portion into your dish - depending on what you add it to.

Butternut Squash...

Cut off the stem, cut the squash in half - lengthwise and scrape out seeds.  Roast the halves, flesh-side down at 400F for 45-50 mins.  Scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor.  As with cauliflower use the sandwich bags and portion out 1/2 cup each.

Sweet Potatoes...

These can be done several ways.  I tend to do the following...  Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them up.  Then I steam them until soft - like I do with the cauliflower.  Once soft and easily mashed with the fork - I transfer it to a food processor.

You can also use a blender if you don't have a food processor or prefer.  Personally, I find it easier to use, clean and scoop out portions in the food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment